Saturday, November 6, 2010

Indefinitely

This blog has been harder to maintain then I thought, I do have several posts pending just have not really had the time to smooth out the edges. I've been training for a half marathon, but this post is not about that. (Even though the half is in less then 24 hours, I will probably post about that some time next week) This post is about something even greater that took longer and a lot more energy to train for: a relationship.

About a year ago, I began to try to press my body to run a bit more than before. I found out pretty quickly that I run longer when someone was on the treadmill next to me. Perhaps I am a tad competitive but in my own strange way I thought I need to run as long as the person next to me.  Sometimes this would all blow over. They would never get off and I would give up after almost rolling off the treadmill or they would get off just as I was getting warmed up and I would be left to run alone. (These are all complete strangers by the way.) One day I was running next to someone who was going about my pace and we were both doing so well. I broke out of my wall of 3 miles and was feeling great! It just so happened that this day was around Valentines Day, sad to admit, but I was thinking about the mystery of dating. Somewhere between mile three and mile four I realized that life would be pretty awesome without having a "man". I can live epically married or not. I still have not decided if these thoughts are from my own self diluted sense of pride or because I know my creator loves me, maybe an accumulation.

As I was running I made a very important vow. I would not partner with someone who could not keep pace with me, were not going the same direction and did not love to run. I mean this all figuratively, of course. The last bit meaning the man would not be okay with staying still or walking leisurely through life. He has to be on fire, running, because the desire to live presently demands more than just surviving. I thought that this was a tall order and probably impossible but I was very determined not to settle. I would have grace but I would not compromise my point of interest/destination or who I am.

Three months ago (give or take a day) once again I was proven wrong. That in Him all things are possible. It just took me a few gentle loving nudges and some pushes from great people to realize there is someone who does have all of that going on and so much more. It's just toppings that we happened to be great friends.


And to answer the odd question that is awkwardly but sometimes asked: Yes, we are happy, indefinitely. 

Happy Three Months. 

1 comment:

  1. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! hehe, love the running analogy. if this were steve's blog, i would start off with: Where's my barf bag? =D happy for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete